Nutrition Care is committed to provide high quality food service and nutritious food while promoting a healthy lifestyle through evidenced-based nutrition approach to improve medical readiness of our service members and overall health of our beneficiaries.
A cost effective department that continuously strives to promote and improve customer satisfaction within all functional areas of the department.
Nutrition Services at FLW
- General Leonard Wood Army Community Hospital's Nutrition Care Division provides inpatient and outpatient medical nutrition therapy and nutrition classes for Soldiers, family members and retirees.
- NCD provides high quality food for staff, patients and visitors in dining facility, located below the main hospital entrance.
- Nutrition classes and the Soldier Fueling Initiative for Soldiers and their Cadre are taught on location throughout the installation by NCD staff. NCD provides nutrition guidance on menu development and review to the Child Development Center, School Age Services, and Family Child Care homes.
- Nutritious Weigh for adults and children
- A Nutritious Weigh class provides the basics of healthy eating, focusing on weight management and physical activity. The class includes time for individual questions and provides specific calorie needs for effective weight loss.
- The Nutritious Weigh Kids class addresses specific nutritional needs for children ages 5-15. This class provides the basics of healthy eating with a focus on weight management and physical activity.
FIT FOR PERFORMANCE
Fit For Performance is a comprehensive weight management program designed to help Soldiers:
- Lose weight and/or meet their body fat standard as outlined in AR 600-9; Army Body Composition Program (ABCP) -Maximize military readiness and job performance -Lower risk of weight-related disease -Look and feel better
- Through a series of 3-5 sessions, Soldiers will receive group and/or individual counseling.
- Fit For Performance concentrates on 4 key areas that are essential for long-term weight loss success and these include: sleep, activity, nutrition, and mindfulness.
- Bariatric Preparation is a six-session series developed to equip participants with the tools needed to achieve a healthy weight before and after bariatric surgery.
- Course sessions focus on strategies to improve diet, increase physical activity, lose weight, and prevent complications following surgery.
- The Pregnancy Nutrition class teaches participants dietary and behavioral strategies to support healthy fetal growth and development as well as maternal health.
Heart Healthy Nutrition
- The Heart Healthy Nutrition class specifically targets those who have current diagnoses of high cholesterol, hypertension, and/or cardiovascular disease.
- Participants learn how to modify dietary and behavioral patterns to improve heart health.
- Diabetes Management provides patients with skills to manage diabetes through a multi-disciplinary discussion of treatment, potential complications, exercise, and self-care.
- Participants learn how to follow a well-managed, healthy diet and make lifestyle changes to improve diabetes management